[Simh] VAXstation 2000

Michael Kerpan mjkerpan at kerpan.com
Fri May 27 10:04:09 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Matt <scope.matthew at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 26/05/2011 18:14, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> I'd expect that the initial approach used for development here was to
>> load a MicroVMS or VAX/VMS disk image into an emulation that presents
>> itself as a VAXstation 2000, and booting it.  The version would have
>> to be new enough to support the VAXstation 2000 hardware.
>
> I used VAX/VMS 5.4 with VWS 4.3 for the majority of my testing. The disk
> image was created using the VAXserver 3900 emulation.
>
> Matt

Using this as a template, I was able to create an RD-54 image that
boots on the VAXstation emulator. Sadly, the image seems to still
think it's running on a 3900, as there's some console type confusion
(No EDIT/TPU makes me sad and unable to edit files since I've never
been able to wrap my head around line editors) AND the darn thing's
not finding the graphics hardware when I try to start DECWindows (I
haven't been able to test VWS as the version on my 5.4-era condist
needs a PAK, which the hobbyist program doesn't provide.)

Are there some AUTOGEN settings that should get the system to re-read
itself and start IDing correctly or do I have to learn linemode EDIT
and fix some files?

Mike