[Simh] VAXstation 2000

Armistead, Jason Jason.Armistead at otis.com
Thu May 26 13:38:27 EDT 2011

Thanks for the walk down memory lane Stephen !

I remember loading up MicroVMS 4.5b onto a shiny new MicroVAX 2000 back in 1988.  The total set of floppies came to about 80.  I know this because I had to install it twice. What started out life as a standalone MicroVAX 2000 with 4Mb RAM, a single 31Mb RD52 disk, a TK50 and 4 terminals, eventually became a fully expanded system with 2 * 159Mb RD54s, 16 Mb of RAM (thanks Clearpoint !!!), a DHT-32 8-line asynchronous expander, DESVA Ethernet option and ran OpenVMS 6.2 as part of a mixed VAX and Alpha cluster.

The MicroVAX 2000, despite its relative slowness compared to the later VAX 4000-300, MicroVAX 300 M76, AlphaServer 400 4/266 and AlphaServer 1000 5/300 nodes that we used, will always have certain soft spot in my heart.

On the subject of loading VMS or MicroVMS into the emulated VAXstation 2000 in SIMH, can it be booted from across the Ethernet ?  I honestly can’t remember if it was possible.  We only ever booted it from floppies for the initial, RD disks for regular operations, or from the TK50 for standalone backup.

Regards

Jason