[Simh] VAXstation 2000

scope.matthew at btinternet.com scope.matthew at btinternet.com
Tue May 24 18:43:04 EDT 2011

This may be a duplicate post; I tried several days ago but was unsuccessful.

There has been a lot of discussion around graphics support recently so I thought

I better post what i've been working on over the last month or so. I've been
adding several extra VAX models to simh, one of which is the VAXstation 2000.
Currently it has Windows GDI graphics output but I intend to add X11 support,
which should make it portable to most of the supported simh platforms. I think
VNC is probably the best approach but I went with GDI/X11 for now because it was

quick and simple.

Below is a link to some Win32 binaries for this emulator. I will be releasing
the source eventually but it needs quite a bit of tidying up first.

https://rapidshare.com/files/3280624157/vax410_v5.zip

(I will upload this somewhere more permanent soon)

Bugs:
The first time you type 'boot cpu' after creating a new nvr file, it will halt
with a
'TOY ERR'. Type 'boot cpu' again and subsequent runs should be ok.

ROMs:
ka410.bin is the system ROM. 'load -r ka410.bin'
ka410_net.bin is the network ROM. 'attach or0 ka410_net.bin'

Cursor Control:
Click in the video window to activate the emulated cursor; this will capture the

host cursor.
Use the escape key (ESC) to release the host cursor.
The emulated cursor is under the control of the guest OS. Sometimes it can
become visible but it may not be possible to move it.

Disks:
Disk images should be interchangeable with the existing VAX emulators as the
'special formatting' is emulated internally. You can still run the 'TEST 70'
formatter if you like though ;)
RX50 support is untested.

Tapes:
The SCSI controller is only about 10% complete and is not useable yet.

The zip file includes both VAXstation and MicroVAX variants with and without
pcap. An example vax410.ini is also included.

I hope i've covered all the important notes there. Please let me know if you see

any other bugs not mentioned above. Testing has been done with various versions
of VWS and DECwindows on VMS and with the VXT software, but I haven't tried
Ultrix or any other Unix variant yet.

The other VAXeni've been working on are as follows:

VAX-11/730
  + Console TU58
  + RB730

VAX-11/750
  + Console TU58
  + CI750

VAX 8600
  + Console RL02
  + CI780

MicroVAX II

Industrial VAX 620 / rtVAX 1000

VAX 4000-200
  + SHACDSSI

I'll be uploading some more of these over the next week.

Matt Burke