[Simh] Problems compling SIMH

Gary Lee Phillips tivo.overo at gmail.com
Mon May 23 10:56:43 EDT 2011

The BIN directory has to exist before you can "make" though I'm not
sure it has to be that way. I'm no wiz on makefiles, but I'm sure the
directory could be created if it didn't already exist.

Your other problem with libpcap is a bit more complicated. On Ubuntu,
and presumably Debian as well since they are so closely related, you
need to install the development package of libpcap, not just the
shared libraries. That would be something like libpcap-dev or
libpcap0.8-dev.

Also, once this is installed, you need to find out where it put the
file libpcap.a (not libpcap.so) and make sure that path will be
searched in the makefile.

The default location searched is /usr/local/lib but Debian and Ubuntu
put the file in /usr/lib instead. I just edited the makefile to change
that location to the correct one. Then everything was fine.

--Gary