[Simh] VAX DZ terminal controller unit?

Phil Mendelsohn phil at rephil.org
Fri May 20 14:20:49 EDT 2011

On 11-05-20 01:11 PM, Gary Lee Phillips wrote:

> The original hardware connected to serial lines,
> and no doubt understood DTR, RTS, DSR, etc. So if you really
> disconnected your terminal, by dropping the DTR, the interface should
> have cleared immediately. Since the emulation is using a TCP link, it
> may not translate the disconnect into a signal that the VMS system
> recognizes as a disconnect, hence we get the timeout period instead.

This smells like the right area to be poking around in, but I seem to
recall an awful lot of VTs that were wired just TX, RX, and ground and
they just worked.  The handshaking lines were never sufficient and often
not even necessary to make things play nice, IIRC.

Don't know what the emulation thinks it's doing or what it's actually
doing, but I feel like you might be able to disable DTR etc.  Sorry I'm
rusty, HTH.