[Simh] Fwd: VAX DZ terminal controller unit?

Nathan Cutler presnypreklad at gmail.com
Thu May 19 13:51:31 EDT 2011

May I ask why are you using the DZ emulation? Maybe there's a
different way to skin the cat, as it were.

When I tried the DZ thing, I was trying to connect to the SimH from a
VT terminal. My first attempt was via telnet - just connected the
terminal to a Linux box and telnet to the SimH. This worked, but only
partially - there was weirdness. So I tried the DZ emulation in SimH
but there was weirdness there, too. I don't remember the exact nature
of the weirdness, but I do remember distinctly that the DZ emulation
didn't work the way I expected it to. I went through no end of grief
trying every possible thing.

Then I found out about LAT. Once I started using LAT, all the problems
went away. It was like waking up from a nightmare. Before I found LAT,
no matter what I tried, it didn't work. After I found LAT (and figured
out how to set it up correctly), no matter what I try, it always
works.

First I tried connecting the terminal to a Linux box and used the LAT
emulation software for Linux. I found this works perfectly.

Then I tried connecting the terminal to a physical VAXstation and
using SET HOST/LAT  - obviously, this works great as well.

Then I tried a DEC terminal server. There I had some minor troubles
just with cabling and figuring out how to change the terminal server
settings, but after I got that figured out it was clear sailing (also
using LAT).

So, to sum up I found that I had to remove telnet from the picture
entirely. For connecting terminals to a SimH, LAT simply can't be
beat.

Hope this helps someone.

Nathan