[Simh] SIMH GUI

Dave dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue May 10 03:40:21 EDT 2011

Richard,

 Just a note to say that I believe that the Hercules IBM Mainframe emulator
uses a pipe to communicate with its GUI which then runs as a separate task.
There is a startup parameter to tell the emulator its under control of a
GUI. When it sees this it then sends status information at regular
intervals.

This means the GUI is pretty independent of the core emulator code. In fact
there are at least two GUIs for Hercules, a Windows one, and a DOS one.

One issue I can think of with SIMH is that certainly with the 1130 emulator
when the console has a read posted I don't think its possible to enter SIMH
commands at that point. Hercules avoids this issue on its integrated TTY by
having an escape character for console input.

Hope this provides some food for thought

Dave.

P.S. I was wondering if it might be useful to have some general definition
of device i/o over IP. That would allow re-usable device emulations, such as
say the Calcomp plotter, to be re-used with multiple emulator cores...

pipeline/>