[Simh] VAX DZ terminal controller unit?

Gary Lee Phillips tivo.overo at gmail.com
Sat May 21 09:52:09 EDT 2011

Thanks, Mark. I was planning to try the VH emulation this weekend, in
fact. I'd held off because I wasn't sure I could use a Qbus device
with the Microvax emulator, and thought I might have to build the
11/780 emulation instead.

I have more information on the DZ, too. After much blind and random
experimenting, I found that using this command on the VAX side will
make the TTAx ports behave in a somewhat more predictable manner:

SET TERM TTAx -
  /MODEM -
  /DIALUP -
  /HANGUP -
  /DISCONNECT -
  /NOAUTOBAUD -
  /PERMANENT

Note that these settings go away when the VAX is rebooted, so they
probably should be added to SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM or some other script
that will reset them after a boot.

By setting those flags for each of the ports on the DZ, I get a
consistent result. The telnet session is completely disconnected on
logout, closing the telnet window, and no _TTAx process is left
hanging around on the VAX side. The remaining issue is some slowness
in getting up a prompt when first connecting, and that may be related
to what you've described here. I find that it takes 20 to 30 seconds
for the login prompt to appear after pressing the ENTER key, but after
that everything works well.

I'll give the VH a try, possibly today.

--Gary