[Simh] Emulated Graphics card?

Michael Kerpan mjkerpan at kerpan.com
Wed May 11 12:23:58 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 3:53 AM, DELAFOSSE, Gilbert
<gilbert.delafosse at capgemini.com> wrote:
>  Markus
>
> You already have a pseudo VAXstation with "off the shelf" tools
> You only need
> - Simh
> - an X11 emulator (Xming or Cygwin in the Windows world)
> That's it. You can even have Simh AND X11 running on the same machine
> With a brand new PC, you will outperform any VAXstation (Except perhaps the VAXstation 8000)
> Runnig a VAXstation on a laptop is great

There's various problems with that, though. It requires that the
emulated VAX be set up with TCP/IP, which requires that Networking be
set up, which requires (usually) either a hardwired ethernet
connection or a complicate setup inside a VM. Additionally, a setup
like that can't handle certain things like Display PostScript which
were built into some versions of DECWindows but which aren't supported
by any modern X servers. Emulating a graphics card which can be
connected to by VNC would solve all those problems. I actually had a
similar idea a while ago, but given my limted coding skills, was
unable to do anything about it.
Mike