[Simh] minimal linux

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 13:51:38 EST 2011

While I was reading that slashdot thread of people reminiscing about
Linux in the late 1990's
(http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/03/03/006250/Reminiscing-Old-School-Linux
), I found mention of this gem... spkdoom.

It's 2.7MB compressed, and setup as a UMS-DOS filesystem.  I know with
it being Linux 2.0.33 makes it a tad stale, but it does perhaps give
some hope for running a super minimal Linux system to run SIMH.  While
the idea of a FAT drive may be a hindrance, perhaps the latter
versions support FAT-32?  Maybe even NTFS?

The whole thing is based off of Xdenu, which was some super minimal
thing at the time to make a simple X terminal... so networking is in
there.

Anyways for those interested you can download it here:

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/utils/misc/spkdoom.zip

This may be another way to a minimal 'bare iron' type of thing.

Jason