[Simh] CAPS-11 cassettes rescued

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Mon Jul 4 10:08:13 EDT 2011

On 7/4/11 6:47 AM, Jack Rubin wrote:
> What's the next step in preserving/distributing these tapes? My thought is
> to create .WAV files using a good audio deck, but I won't do anything until
> I'm sure how to proceed.

I was able to recover some things that way from Datapoint 2200 cassettes but
it isn't optimal. You really want to capture it on the deck it was designed
for. From memory, TU60's are like DECtapes in that they have no capstan, so
the bit rate is going to vary.

Looking at the maint manual, on page 1-2

"In addition, the coefficient of friction of the DEC tape does not allow tape motion by capstan and
pinch rollers as is usually the case with most audio recorders"

I would suggest you forward these on to someone who has the correct transport to
recover these.