[Simh] VMS 4.6 won't boot from a Massbus disk

Peter Allan petermallan at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 29 09:01:47 EST 2011

Brian, thanks for your advise. Changing the value of RTIME has indeed got
VMS 4.6 to boot on my emulated VAX 780, which is terrific.

I started by setting RTIME to 1000, as suggested and I decreased the value
until the system no longer booted. The smallest value I could use was 26.

The system now boots very quickly and there is only about 1 second between
the message

   VAX/VMS Version V4.6  6-Jul-1987 17:00

appearing and the boot sequence finishing. In fact, I could detect no
difference between the speed of the emulated system whether I set RTIME to
26 or to 1000, although all I am doing at present is booting the system and
typing a few simple commands like SHO DEV D.

I realised this is a lot faster than booting from an RA81, which has always
worked, but takes about 10 seconds from the above message appearing to
completing the boot process. Both systems are clean installs with nothing in
the startup .COM files yet.

My current configuration is:
   One RP06 disk containing VMS 4.6
   One RA81 containing VMS 4.6
   One RD53 containing stand alone backup 4.6.

I discovered that when I boot from the RP06 system disk, the MSCP disks are
not recognised and are not available after the system has booted.

Right now, I am not to bothered about the MSCP disks not being recognised if
the system disk is a Massbus one, but I bet I will be at some time in the
future. I tried changing the RQ disk parameters ITIME, QTIME and XTIME, but
the little playing that I did did not result in the MSCP disks appearing
after the system booted.

Anyone got any bright ideas about this problem?

Peter Allan