[Simh] Installing layered products on RSTS/E 10.1

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 12:15:56 EST 2011

OK, thanks for the reply and I apologize for my tardiness in getting around
to this.

Well, I've got the following in my .ini file (eliding the unnecessary
stuff):

set tu enable
> set tu tm03
> set tu1 format=tpc
> attach -er tu1 tapes/ro/BASIC-PLUS-2-V2.6.TPC

When I fire up RSTS/E 10.1 I do the following:

$ mount mm1
%Device is write protected
Density is 800
Tape is in ANSI format
Label:   bp2
$ dir mm1:
 Name .Typ    Size        Name .Typ    Size        Name .Typ    Size
MM1:
INSTAL.BCK*     97 P     BP2REL.BCK*     26 P     BP2   .BCK*   1856 P
PBLT  .BCK*    728 P
Total of 2707 blocks in 4 files in MM1:

So now I run @[0,1]instal layered_products and select BP2 when given the
opportunity.  It goes through the usual questions: mount device, target
account, etc. and then, after collecting all that information asks me if I'm
ready to proceed.  When I answer "yes":

  RSTS/E V10.1-L Software Installation Procedure            20-Feb-11 01:08
AM

                                  Build Phase

Restoring BP2 update components from the Installation kit
Please mount volume 2 on _MM1:.
Press RETURN to continue :

I'm just at a loss here.  The tape is mounted.  It looks perfectly fine when
I take a directory of it.  What's weirder is that I can't do anything with
MM1: once I've run instal.  The device is offline and I can't for the life
of me figure out how to do anything with it after that.  set device mm1:
/enable doesn't do the trick nor does anything else I can find.

On 1 February 2011 01:47, Christopher Myers <thisisentchris87 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Where are you getting your layered products?  I get mine from here:
> ftp://ftp.trailing-edge.com/pub/rsts_dists/
>
> These are the products I installed successfully and never needed a 2nd
> volume:
> fms11_v2_1.tpc
> decnet-e_v4_1.tap
> bp2_v2_7.tap
> f77_v5_3.tpc
> fortran_iv_v2_8.tap
>
> Never got c81 to install, RSTS/E won't install it (keeps complaining about
> format) and the tape files appear to be formatted differently than the other
> software.  Doesn't matter to me, I don't know Cobol.
>

> So to try some ideas, try the full command, @[0,1]instal layered_products
>
> Also make sure your tapes are mounted right and possibly the correct
> hardware:
>
> For example bp2:
> attach -e -r TU3 bp2_v2_7.tap
>
> I used TM03 magnetic tape drives and never locked them.
>
> For me RSTS/E will complain about the file format so I need to run nearly
> all of my layered products with this (even if its a .tap, not a .tpc):
> set TUn FORMAT=TPC

"Perhaps people don't believe this, but throughout all of the discussions of
entering China our focus has really been what's best for the Chinese people.
It's not been about our revenue or profit or whatnot."