[Simh] Network interfaces under Windows

Sergey Oboguev oboguev at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 16:50:35 EST 2011

If you want to communicate between Windows host machine and SIMH, the easiest
setup is Windows Loopback Adaptor (yes, with "o"). To avoid confusion by name,
it is not an adapter that is associated with address 127.0.0.1, but a virtual
Ethernet card driver that creates a subnet connected on one side to the Windows
host machine, and on other side to applications, pretty much like TAP/TUN, but
without the hassle.

Loopback Adaptor can be installed from Device Manager (on Windows 7, Action ->
Add Legacy Hardware -> manually -> Network -> Microsoft -> Microsoft Loopback
Adaptor, and there is similar sequence in XP).

Once the adapter is installed, assign its host-side address in Control Panel
(something like 192.168.3.1/255.255.255.0), restart the machine to get PCAP to
recognize it, then bind it on SIMH side the usual way, just as you would bind a
physical adapter, and configure it inside VMS.

Note that there is a bug in SIMH 3.8.1 autoconfigure that causes mis-assignment
of QBus device vectors when there are two XQ devices present and that may cause
some other devices such as DHV stop working. I forwarded the fix some time ago
to Robert Supnik, so if you run into the problem perhaps he could advise how to
obtain the codebase that incorporates the fix.