[Simh] Network interfaces under Windows

Bruce Claremont Bruce.Claremont at MigrationSpecialties.com
Wed Dec 21 14:39:40 EST 2011

I believe you need to re-install WinPcap to get it to see the new interface.

At 11:48 AM 12/21/2011, Stafford Winters wrote:
>I've had SimH for several months, running VAX (including ethernet support) with OpenVMS installed.  (WinPcap is installed.)  I decided I wanted to add a second network card so that I could telnet in from the same computer to the OpenVMS system.  I had a Dynex DX-E102 available, so I stuck it in the computer, but I don't see it as an available network interface under SimH.  The primary network interface is an integrated NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000.  To complicate matters, I have old VMware Player software installed (version 1.0.2.xxxx) that allows me to run some necessary software for a client.  The host computer is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.  Under SimH:
>sim> show xq eth
>ETH devices:
>  0  \Device\NPF_{4EBEA91C-BB4D-4EB4-A3D0-D44914480A2F} (Local Area Connection)
>  1  \Device\NPF_{237514F4-8533-43C8-A69E-E94618353E5F} (VMware Network Adapter VMnet8)
>sim>
>The Local Area Connection is the NVIDIA NIC.  Am I not able to additional network interfaces because of VMware, or is the Dynex NIC not usable for this, or is it something else altogether?
>
>I realize this is a bit on the fringe for SimH discussion, but I haven't been able to find anything that seems promising in my internet searches.  Thanks for any pointers you can provide.

Mr. Bruce Claremont, Software Preservationist
Migration Specialties International, Inc.
217 West 2nd Street, Florence, CO   81226-1403
Bruce.Claremont at MigrationSpecialties.com
www.MigrationSpecialties.com
+1 719-784-9196, Fax: +1 888-854-3417

Continuity in Computing:  Founded in 1992, Migration Specialties offers modern solutions for legacy hardware & software.  Look to us for VAX, Alpha, HP1000, PDP-11, and DG Nova & Eclipse replacement options.  Visit our web site for more information.