[Simh] SIMH test suite / target CPU speed control

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Fri Sep 3 12:46:47 EDT 2010

In article <3D3FC9427C810D4C9CE9D722D942F0AE071EFBC8 at UUSMNEG3.na.utcmail.com>,
    "Armistead, Jason" <Jason.Armistead at otis.com>  writes:

> One potential problem would be accounting for any variation in the
> execution behavior, e.g. if the time-of-day clock was read from the host
> or if network in teractions occur (assuming networking is enabled).

Properly written unit tests can avoid this problem by providing test
doubles for the subsystem that introduces variation (clock, network,
disk, etc.).

The last time I looked at the source code for SIMH, I was surprised
that it had zero unit tests (still the case in version 3.8-1).  That
makes it hard for others to contribute (how do I know I didn't break
something at a distance?) and difficult to know with any certainty
that any of these emulations are correct.