[Simh] SimH + real terminal

Nathan Cutler presnypreklad at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 15:47:22 EDT 2010

Thanks, Dave.

The terminal is connected to a Linux box and set up as a serial
console. The flow control setting on the Linux serial console *and*
the terminal is XON/XOFF. As long as I stay on Linux, everything is
fine.

The problem begins when, from the Linux serial console session which
is running fine at 38400 baud with no flow control issues whatsoever,
I telnet to SimH/VAX OpenVMS. At this point, the flow control problem
manifests itself. As long as the telnet session lasts, the problem
remains. When I $ LOGOUT and return to the Linux serial console
session, the problem disappears.

Thanks to Jason's suggestion, I discovered that the VAX is somehow
hardwired to expect the telnet session to run at 9600 baud. When I set
the Linux serial console and terminal to 9600 baud, 8N1, XON/XOFF,
everything works fine, both on Linux *and* when I telnet to the VAX.

Nathan