[Simh] Oh, my

Tue Oct 12 02:02:32 EDT 2010

On 10.10.2010, at 16:23, Nathan Cutler wrote:

> I seem to have gotten myself into a bind. (SimH/VAX OpenVMS 7.3)
>
> I used the Standalone backup functionality to make a backup of my system disk (to a larger container - thanks to Tim for help on this). The BACKUP/IMAGE/VERIFY appeared to go well.
>
> Then, instead of just booting the new system disk, I stupidly decided go to one data disk (I had been using two). Stupidly, I deleted the second data disk (labeled DATA2) but forgot to edit the system startup procedures to reflect this.
>
> The SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM script contains "MOUNT/SYSTEM DUA2: DATA2" and when the startup process hits this command, the system chokes on it, demanding (repeatedly) that I mount DATA2. However, I can't mount it because it has been destroyed. This forces me to "power off" the "machine" (CTRL-E to the sim> prompt and then exit).
>
> To fix this, I did a conversational boot. This does get me to a $ prompt but a whole bunch of files seem to be missing. Critically, SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM is not where it's supposed to be:
>
> $ dir sys$manager
> dir sys$manager
> %DIRECT-E-OPENIN, error opening LIVVAX$DUA0:[SYS$STARTUP]SYS$MANAGER.*;* as input
> -RMS-E-DNF, directory not found
> -SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHFILE, no such file
> $ type sys$manager:systartup_vms.com
> type sys$manager:systartup_vms.com
> %TYPE-W-SEARCHFAIL, error searching for SYS$MANAGER:[SYS$STARTUP]SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM;
> -RMS-F-DEV, error in device name or inappropriate device type for operation
> $
>
> Suggestions, anyone?

My VMS know-how is a bit rusty but I think in a conversational boot you do not have logicals available at that point. So navigate to your files using the real disk and dir names. You should be able to edit SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM and remove the offending mount or at least rename it or move it away.

---markus---