[Simh] Resizing the system disk

Nathan Cutler presnypreklad at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 12:12:52 EDT 2010

Hello again, Sergiusz, and thanks for your help.

> You have VAX simulation up and running... As for now, RA92 is the
> biggest disk simulated... But, have OVMS in place, you can turn a
> bunch of these disks in asingle disk image and/or separate
> 'partitions' w/o any problems... On a modern PC, SimH is suitable for
> building software-based disk extension/expansion (RAID-/0/1/5/10),
> with OpenVMS, w/o any problems...

Software RAID is another thing I want to study at some point,
especially when I get my I64 hardware. For now, though, I'm satisfied
that I learned how to use the Standalone Backup environment to
copy/backup/resize disks. With the RAUSER disk type, disks over 1.5 GB
are easy to set up.

Excerpt from SimH/VAX manual:

"RAUSER is a "user specified" disk; the user can specify the size of
the disk in either MB (1000000 bytes) or logical block numbers (LBN's,
512
bytes each).  The minimum size is 5MB; the maximum size is 2GB without
extended file support, 1TB with extended file support."