[Simh] Oh, my

Nathan Cutler presnypreklad at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 10:23:16 EDT 2010

I seem to have gotten myself into a bind. (SimH/VAX OpenVMS 7.3)

I used the Standalone backup functionality to make a backup of my system
disk (to a larger container - thanks to Tim for help on this). The
BACKUP/IMAGE/VERIFY appeared to go well.

Then, instead of just booting the new system disk, I stupidly decided go
to one data disk (I had been using two). Stupidly, I deleted the second
data disk (labeled DATA2) but forgot to edit the system startup
procedures to reflect this.

The SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM script contains "MOUNT/SYSTEM DUA2: DATA2" and
when the startup process hits this command, the system chokes on it,
demanding (repeatedly) that I mount DATA2. However, I can't mount it
because it has been destroyed. This forces me to "power off" the
"machine" (CTRL-E to the sim> prompt and then exit).

To fix this, I did a conversational boot. This does get me to a $ prompt
but a whole bunch of files seem to be missing. Critically,
SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM is not where it's supposed to be:

$ dir sys$manager
dir sys$manager
%DIRECT-E-OPENIN, error opening LIVVAX$DUA0:[SYS$STARTUP]SYS$MANAGER.*;*
as input
-RMS-E-DNF, directory not found
-SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHFILE, no such file
$ type sys$manager:systartup_vms.com
type sys$manager:systartup_vms.com
%TYPE-W-SEARCHFAIL, error searching for
SYS$MANAGER:[SYS$STARTUP]SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM;
-RMS-F-DEV, error in device name or inappropriate device type for operation
$

Suggestions, anyone?