[Simh] NIC configuration

Nathan Cutler presnypreklad at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 16:14:56 EDT 2010

I'm running SimH/VAX on an Ubuntu 9.10 box. The Ubuntu box has two
NICs in it: an the onboard Gigabit NIC and a PCI 100 Mbit NIC. The VAX
is set up to use the 100 Mbit NIC. I have everything working but I
thought I'd run it by you guys and ask if there's a better or more
"kosher" way to do this.

Configuration details on the Ubuntu side:

br0 is the onboard Gigabit LAN interface, which is bridged with the
VirtualBox virtual interface (this is irrelevant, I think). I have br0
set to static IP address 192.168.0.216, netmask 255.255.255.0.

eth1 is the 100 Mbit LAN interface dedicated to the VAX. In Ubuntu
(/etc/network/interfaces), I have it set to static address
192.168.1.0, netmask 255.255.255.0.

Configuration details on the SimH/VAX side:

I have VMS 7.3 installed on the VAX along with TCP/IP. I have SimH
attaching itself to the correct interface (eth1). The VAX is set to IP
address 192.168.1.1, netmask 255.255.0.0 (note this is different than
on Ubuntu).

At this point, the VAX can ping the other machines on the network, as
well as addresses on the Internet, and even VirtualBox guests running
on the same Ubuntu machine the VAX is running on. It cannot, however,
see the Ubuntu box itself (192.168.0.216), nor can the Ubuntu box see
it.

For that, I have to do "route add 192.168.1.1 dev br0" on the Ubuntu
box. Then it works fine.

Thanx in advance for all comments and suggestions.

Nathan