[Simh] Question on telnet mantra in simh

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Wed Nov 10 23:57:06 EST 2010

Rich,

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 23:37, Richard Cornwell wrote:

> This was quick hack to allow me to kermit into Unix 7 from linux to
> transfer some files.

Thanks for your suggestions.

As I noted in my reply to Holger, the history of the SIMH Telnet code is
that it is pretty much all a quick hack.  SIMH would benefit from a clean
implementation that followed the Telnet RFCs.  Unfortunately, I'd be
concerned that such an implementation would break clients that didn't
implement the RFC negotiation properly.

If anyone wanted to undertake this, I'd recommend first soliciting the user
base for the Telnet clients that they use -- for the HP emulator, I've used
AICS Research's QCTerm, Attachmate's Crosstalk, and Microsoft's Hyperterm
and console-mode Telnet programs...and they all negotiate a different set
of conditions.  I'd also instrument the negotiation code so that one could
obtain a log of the interactions.  (QCTerm fortunately has a logging mode,
which is how I discovered the negotiation loop mentioned before; the only
visible result was that the program became unresponsive on connection.)

                                      -- Dave