[Simh] Console Input was RE: Question on telnet mantra in simh

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Fri Nov 12 00:38:48 EST 2010

Dave,

On Thursday, November 11, 2010 at 8:36, Dave Wade wrote:

> ...if you want to do console you need a telnet session, to which the
> output is also directed.

I am unfamiliar with the 1130, and I've never used the 1130 simulator, but
SIMH usually implements Telnet for the console as an option.  SET CONSOLE
TELNET=<port> moves the console terminal to a Telnet connection, and SET
CONSOLE NOTELNET reverts it back to the window that started SIMH.  See
section 3.12 of the SIMH User's Guide.

Is there perhaps a SET CONSOLE TELNET command in a startup script?  (Note
that if there's an "ibm1130.ini" file in the same directory as the
executable, it'll be run automatically at startup.)

> I can understand why this is done, and now have scripts that start
> this for me, but I was wondered if it would be possible to modify SIMH
> to accept console input from the SIMH console, perhaps by the use of an
> escape character.

A very quick squint at the code in "ibm1130_stddev.c" suggests that the
console should do I/O through the main window.  "tti_svc()" is calling
"sim_poll_kbd()", which is the standard input routine, and several other
routines are calling "sim_putchar()", which is the standard output routine.

                                      -- Dave