[Simh] 6-bit variants of ASCII (AKA DEC SIXBIT)

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Mon May 10 13:39:32 EDT 2010

Looking at references that Al and others have already mentioned

(and I'd like to add: http://www.transbay.net/~enf/ascii/ascii.pdf which also mentions EBCDIC and ECMA-1)

(and also add the PDP-1 documentation on "Concise code" and "FIO-DEC" codes which seem to be related to a specific model of Flexowriter... I'm not sure which came first, the FIO-DEC code or the Flexowriter FIO)

I'm astonished at the flurry of standards activities in character codes in the 1960-1963 timeframe. That doesn't mean that six bit codes didn't exist earlier, just that the flurry of standards activities is astonishing.

I think sometimes it is very common for Wikipedia authors to mistake standards committee activities as being the only activities. Wikipedia's policies encouraging (requiring?) references to standards documents make it very easy to go down this road but it can be misleading. There are things adopted in standards committees that are never implemented in real life. And there's lots of things implemented in real life that are never part of a standard.