[Simh] Fwd: Making tape/disk images

Ken Cornetet Ken.Cornetet at kimball.com
Wed May 5 10:48:57 EDT 2010

Not sure you need to go to the effort. Most simh hosts already have a perfectly usable tar and it is trivial to convert a file into a simh tape image.

Now, what would be handy is a portable (c, perl, etc) of your guest OS native tape archiving tool, if it has no way to read or write tar tapes.

But that has little to do with the original discussion.  In the original discussion, we aren’t talking about having simh know anything about guest OS tape handling, file systems, or archive programs. Simh handles tapes the same regardless of OS. Virtual tapes consist of “files”. These tape files consist of variable length records.

What we are talking about doing is adding simh code to allow attaching a directory as a tape device. Remember, a virtual tape needs “files” consisting of records. We know how to build the file information (logical file = physical file). Next, we need record length. For this we have two options:  User specified fixed size records or text file records. You’d have to supply this information to simh when attaching the tape device.

Simple so far. However, the devil is in the details. How to sort files in the folder (date or name). How to handle backward tape reading. When to read the directory to get a list of files. What if a physical file gets deleted? This would all have to be worked out, but I think it is doable.