[Simh] Making tape/disk images

Ken Cornetet Ken.Cornetet at kimball.com
Mon May 3 17:04:48 EDT 2010

Well, the file marks would be obvious. The block size would have to be specified by the user. The lack of tape structure would seem to limit the usefulness a great deal, but I guess it could still be useful in some cases, and it seems pretty easy to implement.

Here's how I'd see it being useful:

1. Create tar, zip, or whatever file on host OS.
2. Copy file (with random name) into virtual tape directory.
3. Read tape in guest OS extracting files.
4. Delete host file (or perhaps have option to make simh delete after reading EOF)
5. Repeat as required.

Output could be handy too. Have simh create files in the specified folder using the epoch time and a sequential number for the "file number" in the virtual tape as the host file name.

The more I think about this, the better I like it. This would make it very simple to get files into and out of a guest where no networking exists. No more creating tape images, stopping the emulation, attaching tape files, starting the emulation.