[Simh] Making tape/disk images

dott.Piergiorgio dott.piergiorgio at fastwebnet.it
Mon May 3 15:18:38 EDT 2010

Il 03/05/2010 20:46, Jason Stevens ha scritto:
> TME does this.... (the machine emulator, it's geared to some old SUN
> stuff)...  Which always sounds like fun until you get some tape with like
> 50+ files.... But maybe I'm just getting cranky... :)
>
> IMHO it's way more "transportable" giving someone a single tape file, vs a
> tonne of lose files....
>
> Oh well that's my lame $0.02... flame away! :)

Not a flame :D , only a simple consideration: surely many people,
notwithstanding nostalgia &c, surely prefer the modern editors and/or
x-assemblers re. the native dev tools, so having means of host-to-simh
and vice-versa tools plus tarballs of the (source) contents of the tape
images should be more than welcome, I guess.

For sure I suspect that people whose want to play (hacker's sense) with
the 1401 SPS assembler surely really appreciate the programmable tabbing
of certain current editors ;)

I never speak much on my pet projects because I never appreciate
"vaporwares", but I'm toying around the idea of a DrOS for the PDP1s and
4s (the idea came from both the consideration on the readme of the
PDP-7's DECsys and a general idea of the scientific computing of 1960s
(side note, no one has noticed that the NASA's Technical report server
can be considered in the same league of Bitsavers in preserving the
1950s to 1970s scientific computing ?))

Notice that DrOS stand for DRum Operating System and has no relation
with the scathing Drecnet term of the jargon of yore :)

So, my little question: is feasible to adapt the MACRO7 cross-assembler
to the -4 ?

Sorry for my ramblings, and

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.