[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 76, Issue 4

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Fri Mar 26 13:19:22 EDT 2010

Jason,

My recollection is that VMS Backups save sets written directly to tape
use ANSI labelled tape format.  That made it possible to VMS COPY a
Backup save set from a mounted tape to disk or from disk to a mounted
tape.  You would not only have to copy the Backups save set files you
have on your PC to a SIMH tape file, but you would also have to write
the proper ANSI tape labels and tape marks.  I think you will find it
much easier to create a dedicated SIHM VAX disk to hold your Backup
save sets on a volume that is not your boot volume.  That way you
don't have to mount the volume with the Backup save sets most of the
time and they will not use any space on your VAX file system.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov