[Simh] Largest VAX / PDP disk sizes

Armistead, Jason Jason.Armistead at otis.com
Fri Mar 26 11:40:45 EDT 2010

According to

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/vax.html

and

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/pdp11.html

Both mention the RA73, which is a 2Gb drive (that I'd really love to use with SIMH !)

I am trying to run the MicroVAX 3900 flavor of SIMH, but when I try to put SET RQ2 RA73 in my VAX.INI file I get an error
parameter
vax.ini> set rq2 ra73
Non-existent parameter

And I end up with a 159 Mb RD54 drive instead when I boot VMS and do a SHOW DEVICE DUA2: /FULL

According to both the VAX and PDP11 pages on the SIMH site, the RA73 is listed as supported, but when I dig into the SIMH source code and look at PDP11_RQ.C, in the it has an X next to it which means not implemented.

What's this all mean ?

Is it just a documentation bug, and those web pages shouldn't mention RA73s ?

Is there a technical/software reason why SIMH doesn't support these drives ?

Is no-one able to fill in the question marks in the RCT column of the table in PDP11_RQ.C which also has blanks for RD32, RD33 and RA70 drives ?  I managed to figure out that RCT stands for replacement and caching table (a reference in the VMS I/O User's Reference Manual to DEV$M_RCT).  We ought to strive to improve the comments in the code to expand this (I found no

On a side-note, the PDP11 web page shows the capacities of these drives as a range.  The VAX page lists the capacities as 12KB for VAX 780 and 200-1960MB for VAX 3900.  The 12KB entry for VAX 780 seems like a typo perhaps.

Regards,
Jason