[Simh] SimH networking on Ubuntu (dapper)

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Fri Jun 11 17:14:43 EDT 2010

Let's go back to the simplest case which is with  2 NIC cards.

What you need to do in this case is:
1) The primary NIC (eth0) will be setup normally and you should be able
to ping and otherwise access nodes on the LAN.
2) The second NIC should be plugged into the SAME network as the primary
NIC.
3) The second NIC SHOULD NOT be used by the networking on the Ubuntu
system (i.e. NO IP Address explicitly assigned and none set by DHCP).
You should have to explicitly turn on that NIC with something like
"/sbin/ifconfig eth2 up"
4) The SIMH vax must be rebuilt with network support (the Ubuntu package
isn't currently built that way, we're trying to fix that for the next
SIMH release).
5) You SIMH vax should "attach xq eth2"
6) You SIMH vax should have an IP address either dynamically or
explicitly set which is on the SAME LAN as eth0 (i.e. 192.168.0.169) and
the netmask should be set consistently with respect to all of the other
hosts on that LAN.

This does work, although you'll have to be running the SIMH vax as root
to succeed in step 5+ above.

 You can avoid the need to run the SIMH vax as root by leveraging Linux
"Filesystem Capabilities" to give the SIMH vax executable the needed
capabilities.  The article at:
http://packetlife.net/blog/2010/mar/19/sniffing-wireshark-non-root-user/
describes how to run Wireshark using Filesystem Capabilities.  The SIMH
needs the exact same capabilities as Wireshark to avoid running as root.

Clearly, since the SIMH vax is directly on the LAN, any/all network
traffic the SIMH vax generates will be available for communications with
any other hosts on that LAN (i.e. DECnet, LAVC, LAT, etc...).

Using a bridge configuration is another more complex topic.   Try to the
above first and after you have that working we'll explore the specifics
of getting the exact same functionality by using a single NIC.

- Mark Pizzolato