[Simh] Questions on SIMH VAX

Hittner, David T (IS) david.hittner at ngc.com
Fri Jun 11 08:58:41 EDT 2010

"VUPS was largely gone by the end of the VAXen" is true, but ... :-)

Digital/Compaq published a list (which I think is still somewhere on
HP's archived pages) of VAX and Alpha VUPS comparisons for people to
compare where they were and where they could be to encourage them to buy
a new system. The VUP.COM procedure used to measure your VMS system's
VUPS rating has been freely available for a long time.

Here's HP's current authoritative page on VUPS and SPEC:
http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/performance/vups_297.html#grafs

Many people still use VUPS ratings to predict or compare relative
performance of various VMS systems, because it's a simple benchmark that
most people understand, even though it's CPU-centric.

FWIW, these are my company's system ratings to give people on the list a
relative idea of VUPS performance ranges:
	System			VUPS
	--------------------	-----
	Integrity rx2660		575.4
	Integrity rx2600		533.2
	AlphaPC 154LX/533		167.6
	AlphaServer 1200 5/533	154.2
	VAX 4000-500		22.0
	MicroVAX 3100-90		18.6
	VaxStation 4000/VLC	5.8
My company bought low end systems - the enterprise VAX/Alpha/Integrity
systems are much faster. Enterprise VAXes went into the 700s, the Alphas
went into the mid-to-high thousands, and the Integrity SuperDomes can
exceed 10,000 VUPS.

My 3-year-old 2.1GHz laptop can usually get 5-20 VUPS running SIMH,
FreeAXP, and PersonalAlpha.

Dave