[Simh] Questions on SIMH VAX

Robert G. Schaffrath robert at schaffrath.net
Thu Jun 10 21:36:56 EDT 2010

One of the problems with calculating Instructions Per Second on the VAX
and using that figure as a benchmark was the fact that some of the VAX
instructions were very complicated and could take upwards of eight clock
cycles to complete. On RISC systems, where the goal was having all
instructions execute within a defined number of clock cycles,
calculating MIPS was easier and perhaps more relevant. When Digital
reworked the VAX architecture in the mid-1980's and moved some of the
more complicated and less frequently used instructions from microcode to
software (as well as removing native PDP-11 instructions), the MIPS
definition may have become a better benchmark. Still, for customers who
had a VAX 11/780 or were accustomed to its performance, the VUP at least
gave you a concept as to how much faster your bright new shiny VAX 6xxx
was compared to the original 11/780.

Robert