[Simh] CDC6600

Robert G. Schaffrath robert at schaffrath.net
Fri Jul 9 08:28:10 EDT 2010

  On 7/8/2010 9:43 PM, Bob Supnik wrote:
> The lack of a hobbyist program from the software licensor
> makes a freeware simulator not very interesting, at least to me.  This
> also limits the appeal of trying to simulate the DG Eclipse lines, both
> 16b and 32b, as another example.

I am rather sorry that EMC, or whoever owns what is left of Data General
now, never opened the AOS and AOS/VS software to hobbyists.  Almost,
thirty years ago my college was a DG shop and we had one of the first
Eclipse MV/8000's on the market.  The last time I touched a DG AOS/VS
system was in 1987.  Not much I would do with it but I still have a lot
of old code printouts somewhere that I would love to play with.  Does
anyone even run AOS/VS anymore?

I worked with both VMS and AOS/VS in the 1980's and I am glad that the
VMS side is still active in the hobbyist world.  I fire up my V5.5-2
system every once in a while just for nostalgia.

Robert