[Simh] An idea for graphics support in SIMH

Michael Kerpan mjkerpan at kerpan.com
Wed Jul 7 19:53:45 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:

> In article <AANLkTildkmhW5q95nr9lhkP8GRJdvywVR1CBsUUjVwBS at mail.gmail.com>,
>    Michael Kerpan <mjkerpan at kerpan.com>  writes:
>
>> emulation code could write to and that could be viewed by an external
>> client.
>
> I guess I'm confused why an external client is necessary.
>
> It seems like it would be simpler to provide a local client.
>
> When I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be discussing a
> graphical front panel for the machine, augmented with a view of the
> machine architecture (register contents, single step, etc.).  Now I
> realize this is something different, but I think that would be nice to
> have.  You really can understand a CPU architecture better when you
> can single step execution and watch the register contents change.

I think a debugger would be good too, but I think that something that
increases the pool of software that can run is more useful. A to why
the graphics would be done through RFB rather than through direct
display, that's just to keep things cross-platform by off-loading the
platform-specific work of displaying graphics to external programs
rather than having code display routines for every platform SIMH runs
on into the codebase.

Mike