[Simh] An idea for graphics support in SIMH

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 11:45:23 EDT 2010

This idea is utterly insane (pretty much like the whole concept of SIMH
itself).  I like it.

On 7 July 2010 23:37, Michael Kerpan <mjkerpan at kerpan.com> wrote:

> One thing that's always bugged me was the fact that SIMH has no real
> support for graphics. Some up the supported platforms (such as the
> PDP-1) are widely recognized as important because of there graphical
> display abilities. Others, such as the VAX were often sold with a
> framebuffer installed for use as workstations. The general problem
> with graphics, however, has always been that they make things less
> cross-platform. Having a lot of free time over the summer to think
> about such things, I recently hit upon an idea: why not implement
> graphics systems via the RFB/VNC protocol?  That way, any people could
> simply attach the "framebuffer" or "vector display" to a TCP/IP port
> and connect with any number of free clients. Do people think that
> something like this would be workable? It seems like a crazy idea, but
> then again, it also seems in keeping with other things that SIMH does,
> such as implement terminal multiplexers over TELNET...
>
> Mike

"Perhaps people don't believe this, but throughout all of the discussions of
entering China our focus has really been what's best for the Chinese people.
It's not been about our revenue or profit or whatnot."