[Simh] An idea for graphics support in SIMH

Michael Kerpan mjkerpan at kerpan.com
Wed Jul 7 11:37:46 EDT 2010

One thing that's always bugged me was the fact that SIMH has no real
support for graphics. Some up the supported platforms (such as the
PDP-1) are widely recognized as important because of there graphical
display abilities. Others, such as the VAX were often sold with a
framebuffer installed for use as workstations. The general problem
with graphics, however, has always been that they make things less
cross-platform. Having a lot of free time over the summer to think
about such things, I recently hit upon an idea: why not implement
graphics systems via the RFB/VNC protocol?  That way, any people could
simply attach the "framebuffer" or "vector display" to a TCP/IP port
and connect with any number of free clients. Do people think that
something like this would be workable? It seems like a crazy idea, but
then again, it also seems in keeping with other things that SIMH does,
such as implement terminal multiplexers over TELNET...

Mike