[Simh] Cygwin and SIMH

Tony Nicholson tony.nicholson at computer.org
Mon Feb 8 02:06:03 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Gregg Levine
[snip]
> Close. I am actually wondering if anyone has managed to build
> everything under Cygwin, and has worked out what needs to be done to
> make networking work there.

Hi Gregg,

I build and use SIMH emulators for PDP11, VAX, VAX780 with networking
under Cygwin on Windows XP Professional SP3.

Just install the WinPcap driver (from http://www.winpcap.org ) into
Windows and grab the WinPcap Developers Pack zip file and put the lib
and include files into the Cygwin /usr/local/lib/ and
/usr/local/include/ directories.

In the SIMH makefile modify the Unix environment to test for cygwin
(because it doesn't need to reference the librt library) -

      ifneq (,$(findstring darwin,$(OSTYPE)))
        OS_CCDEFS = -D_GNU_SOURCE
      else
!       ifneq (,$(findstring cygwin,$(OSTYPE)))
!         OS_CCDEFS = -lm -D_GNU_SOURCE -O2
!       else
!         OS_CCDEFS = -lrt -lm -D_GNU_SOURCE
!       endif
      endif

then just build as per normal from the sources (e.g.)

export OSTYPE HOSTTYPE
test \! -d BIN && mkdir BIN
make USE_NETWORK=1 BIN/pdp11 BIN/vax BIN/vax780

I use SIMH vax to run OpenVMS 7.3 with DECnet and Multinet 5.3, vax780
with VAX/VMS 5.5-2, DECnet and Multinet 3.4B and the pdp11 as a unibus
PDP-11/70 running RSTS/E 9.6-11 with DECnet/E 4.1 and LAT.

They run fine in a Cgywin/X xterm window (which has enough VT100/ANSI
capabilities to run EDT etc) or even a DECwindows DECterm from VMS (do
an appropriate "xhost +vaxhostipaddr" before running SIMH vax, then "$
set display/create/node=pchostipaddr/transp=tcpip" and "$
create/terminal/detach" from the console).

regards
Tony

--
Tony Nicholson <tony.nicholson at computer.org>