[Simh] porting simh to plan9

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 11:57:37 EST 2010

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Holger Veit
<holger.veit at iais.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Am 19.12.2010 15:10, schrieb Fernan Bolando:
>>
>> after some debugging, I finally know what is causing simh to become
>> non responsive.
>> the good news is simh25 can easily be compiled through plan9 ape
>> compatibility. The bad news is poll_kbd is blocking in plan9 so it
>> does not return untill you press crriage return. commenting out
>> poll_kbd allows the pdp11 to boot and show it's prompt but you will
>> not be able to send keyboard command. it also crashes a few seconds
>> after that so after fixing the nonblocking problem something might be
>> broken
>>
>> so i need a plan9 version of poll_keyoard or get telnet approach working.
>>
> Plan 9 might use the common Unix method of non-blocking I/O, namely, open
> /dev/tty (which is
> usually connected to the keyboard) and use an ioctl to switch it to
> nonblocking. Under Unix, this
> is FIONBIO.
>
> Holger

We don't have /dev/tty or ioctls; we can't expect anything from Unix
to carry over. I expect one of the first things is to put /dev/cons
into raw mode so you can get character-at-a-time... not sure what
comes next.

Telnet might be better in the long run.

John