[Simh] simh lightweight OS (was RE: Hardware Requirements)

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Tue Dec 7 10:02:21 EST 2010

>Zane Healy (healyzh at aracnet.com) wrote:
>
>I used to have a dedicated box for PDP-10 emulation, it was built
>using a Celeron 500Mhz CPU.

  In a slightly different but related question - assuming you want to set up
a PC just for the purpose of running simh, what's the lightest weight
operating system that you can run on the host?  Did I hear somebody say that
simh runs on DOS?  FreeDOS too?  That's pretty light weight.  Or do you use
a stripped down Linux distro instead?  DSL?

  I'm thinking of a PC that, when you turn it on, runs simh and boots
directly into the guest OS with as little fuss and muss as possible.
There'd never really be any need to access the host OS once the system was
set up.

Bob