[Simh] Hardware Requirements

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Mon Dec 6 22:42:21 EST 2010

On Tuesday, December 7, 2010 at 0:20, Pontus wrote:

> I just joined the list, this is my first post :)

Welcome.

> I was wondering, what are the hardware requirements of simh? What kind
> of CPU would be necessary to emulate a PDP-15 at or over its real world
> speed?

I have not used the PDP-15 simulator, but I have made timing measurements
on the HP 1000 simulator.  On a 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo machine, the simulator
executes about 47000 instructions per millisecond.  A real HP 1000 E-Series
executed about 1580 instructions per millisecond, so SIMH is about 30 times
faster.

I would think that the PDP-15 simulator would be of the same order of
magnitude on similar hardware.

                                      -- Dave