[Simh] simh on MAC os (booting problem)

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Mon Aug 9 12:32:20 EDT 2010

> You're attaching unit before defining its type...

In general VMS doesn't care about the MSCP device type. It's just a big bunch of blocks. Not all operating systems are "good guys" in this respect but VMS is really the good guy here.

I think we can help the "good guys" by not bothering to set MSCP device type strings for them. Just my opinion. I've always been strongly in favor of the "big bunch of blocks" disk model and always fought tooth and nail against those who suggest it should be otherwise.

> (BOOT/R5:0 DUAL1
>

>  2..
> ?41 DEVASSIGN, DUAL
> HALT instruction, PC: 00000C1A (MOVL (R11),SP)

Trying to boot from a device that VMS doesn't know how to boot from, e.g. DUAL1, will do this every time. Solution: B DUA1

Tim.