[Simh] DECUS C

Jeremy Begg jeremy at vsm.com.au
Mon Aug 2 19:39:52 EDT 2010

Hi Michael,

>I'm trying to find a tape or disk or, in a pinch, even a files collection of
>the DECUS C compiler for PDP-11.  I don't care if the OS is RT-11, RSX-11 or
>RSTS/E -- I've got all three available.

I can't comment on PDP-11 C, it was before my time (or to be more precise, I
started on VAXes in 1980 and hadn't ever used PDPs).

>Also, what C compilers were available on the VAX/780 running VMS?  Were any
>of them free/open software?

Initially there was "VAX C" which was not ANSI-compliant but might be your
only option depending on the VMS version you want to run.  Later came DEC C
which is ANSI-compliant (in fact it supports quite a few C standards) and is
much better suited to porting code to VMS from other platforms.  Neither of
these is free, but you might be able to licence them under the VMS Hobbyist
program.

On the freeware side of things, there is/was GNU C (GCC) for VAX.  You can
pick up a copy here:

    http://ftp.vsm.com.au/kits/gcc-vms-2_7_1.tar
     ftp://ftp.vsm.com.au/kits/gcc-vms-2_7_1.tar (anonymous FTP)

There is also a GCC-for-Alpha kit at the same location but I'm not sure how
good it is.  The main problem with the GCC stuff was having to hand-build
the STARLET libraries.  If you're not doing much VMS system programming with
it, this might be OK.  I used GCC for VAX for the second implementation of
my OperCon product (http://www.vsm.com.au/software/opercon.shtml) but later
switched to DEC C to get better support for VMS features.

Regards,

        Jeremy Begg

  |            VSM Software Services Pty. Ltd.              |
  |                 http://www.vsm.com.au/                  |
  |       "OpenVMS Systems Management & Programming"        |
  | P.O.Box 402, Walkerville, |  E-Mail:  jeremy at vsm.com.au |
  | South Australia 5081      |   Phone:  +61 8 8221 5188   |
  |  A.C.N. 068 409 156       |     FAX:  +61 8 8221 7199   |