[Simh] DECUS C

brian brian at meadows.pair.com
Mon Aug 16 00:27:24 EDT 2010

Ethan Dicks wrote:
<...>

> I don't think there was anything remarkable about Whitesmith's C
> except that it was available to buy when others were not,

<...>

Whitesmiths. Ugh! There's a name which brings back some memories. I
spent a couple of years developing software on a PDP-11/44 under
RSX-11M and the first "compiler" we had was Whitesmiths Pascal.
"Compiler" because what it actually did in those days (early 80s) was
to translate the Pascal into C and then compile and link the C
program. Since we were debugging from the generated Macro-11 code by
patching breakpoints into the executable and then using ODT, we got to
see how truly awful the generated code was. Fortunately we then found
out about Oregon Pascal, which I believe became RSX Pascal, and the
generated code improved beyond all recognition.

Brian.