[Simh] Tip for using PuTTY Telnet client to connect to SIMH serial ports

roy hills royhills at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 04:29:28 EDT 2010

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but I thought I'd post to the list just in case it's not and others have had this problem.

I use SIMH on Windows, and use PuTTY as the Telnet client to connect to the simulated serial ports on PDP-11 and VAX 11/780.  I had problems with input characters occasionally being missed (e.g. type "cat filename", get "at filename"), and stray "q" characters being input (leave terminal unattended for a few minutes, come back to see "qqq").

The problem turned out to be because I had keepalives turned on, which was sending nulls every 90 seconds.  After disabling this by setting the value to 0, the problem has gone away.  The setting is under PuTTY's "connection" menu.