[Simh] RSTS/E Sysgen problem

Ray Jewhurst daventhalas1 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 18:15:13 EDT 2010

This is what I'm trying to do.

Boot the RSTS/E Install Tape
Now that we have the basic environment in place, We boot the RSTS Install tape to load the SYSGEN
monitor.
• Open a terminal (or command) window.
• Execute the Command “pdp11 rsts-sysgen.ini”
• When SimH prompts “Create bad block table...”; Press Return;
• At the “sim>” prompt execute the command “boot tu”
Note: If Simh didn’t tell you that it was creating a new file, You’re about to erase a existing drive file!
Type “quit” at the sim prompt to abort.
>pdp11 rsts-sysgen.ini
PDP-11 simulator V3.7-3
PDP-11/83 with 4 meg of memory
RP: creating new file
Create bad block table on last track? [N] [Return]
rsts_v9_6_install.tap mounted on TU0 (MM0:)
rsts_v9_library.tap mounted on TU1 (MM1:)
"boot tu" to boot tape
"boot rp" to boot disk
sim> boot tu

Ray Jewhurst mentioned  on 12-4-2010 22:00:

  I just downloaded the package posted a little while  ago and while follow the directions to a tee this is what I got.

PDP-11 simulator V3.8-0
PDP-11/73 with 4 meg of memory

RSTS_V9.RP04 mounted on RP0: (DB0:)
RQ: unit is read only
Y2KPATCH.RX50 mounted on RQ0: (DU0:)
TU: unit is read only
TU: unit is read only
rsts_v9_6_install.tap mounted on TU0 (MM0:)
rsts_v9_library.tap mounted on TU1 (MM1:)

"boot tu" to boot tape
"boot rp" to boot disk

I can't understand why it's not making a new file and is read-only any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

Ray,

This looks right to me. RQ0 is the read-only Y2K floppy

MM0 and MM1 are the read-only tape units

RP0 (DB0) is the disk you're installing onto.

What new file did you expect to be created?

/Wilm