[Simh] Converting VMS BACKUP saveset file to SIMH tape file

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Thu Apr 1 13:56:14 EDT 2010

Jason,

Another possibility occurred to me that you may find useful.  I
haven't ever actually done this, so perhaps others can comment on my
suggestion.

OpenVMS can mount ISO-9660 disks.  If you can write the Backup save
set on your PC into an ISO image file or to an actual CD, then OpenVMS
should be able to Mount /Media_Format=CDROM the image/CD and read the
Backup save set.  The record length will not be correct.  But,
apparently newer versions of Backup (OpenVMS 8.3) include a /Repair
qualifier, which will allow Backup to use the record length stored in
the save set.  Otherwise, you will have to figure out what the record
length is, then use the OpenVMS Mount /Media_Format=CDROM qualifier /
Undefined_FAT to specify the record format and record length.  Or,
copy the Backup save set from the CD to the SIMH VAX disk, then run
the RESET_BACKUP_SAVESET_ATTRIBUTES.COM DCL command procedure I posted
earlier.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608