[Simh] Dungeon (Zork) questions......

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 17:51:50 EDT 2009

I came across this great site getlamp.com ... Some guy is slowly doing a
documentary on the whole genesis of the adventure game thing.  On his
progress blog, he does have this very interesting PDF:

http://www.getlamp.com/pdf/Zork_PDP_11.pdf

It's a scan of an autographed manual of the 'first' commercial version of
Zork!

I went digging around, and found that the version of 'zork' included in 4.x
BSD was from the RT-11 and was labeled as version V2.0a, with the endgame
milestone.  After some more digging around, I found this site:
http://www.pdp11.co.uk/2009/05/17/rt-11-rx50-disk-images/

Which has various rx50 disk images.  After running strings thru the ASC.DSK
image, I think its the V2.1A puzzle room milestone version.  dungeon1&2
diskimages contain the fortran source to the game, but I'm unable to figure
out how to install the fortran compilers...
I think the ones listed here:
http://www.headcrashers.org/comp/rx01/

would do the job as they sound about right when running the FORGEN.SAV
program... But I always seem to get this error:

 -------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<
.RUN DX0:FORGEN.SAV
Answer questions with:
"?" or carriage return (<CR>) for information,
YES(Y) for affirmation, anything else for NO.

A maximum of   56 lines are allowed per listing page.
Is this acceptable? Y
A maximum of  136 characters are allowed in a formatted
(ASCII) record.  Is this acceptable? Y
A maximum of  6 channels may be open at a given time.
Is this acceptable? Y
The FORTRAN compiler can compile system-specific OPEN and CLOSE
statement keywords for RT-11, RSX-11, and RSTS/E systems.  These
statements are currently compiled for the following system: RT-11
Is this acceptable? Y
FORTRAN can produce inline code for EAE, EIS or FIS hardware,
or it can produce threaded (THR) code which is hardware independent.
Should the compiler produce EAE code? N
Should the compiler produce EIS code? N
Should the compiler produce FIS code? N
Should the compiler produce THR code? Y
The inline compiler can optimize for SPEED or for SIZE. These
optimizations are mutually exclusive. Do you want
the optimization to be for SPEED? SIZE
Do you wish a threaded only compiler? Y
?Err 27
in   routine ".MAIN."  line ?
 -------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<

Clearly I'm doing something wrong...

Anyways, I did come accross this one last version, here:
http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/5517/pdp11.htm

Which is all binary.  With some fun with initializing the fortran disk
image, and using putr I was able to copy the binaries into the disk image,
then copy them into the "rtv4_rk.dsk" from the software packages disk image,
and get it to run!
This version reports itself as being the 10-AUG-78 version, or the DECUS
1.1B version.

 -------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<
.RUN DUNGEO
Welcome to Dungeon.                     This version created 10-AUG-78.
You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded
front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
>HISTORY
Revision history:
10-AUG-78       DECUS version.
14-JUL-78       Bug fixes.
6-JUL-78        Multiple system play test version.
28-JUN-78       Complete play test version.
18-JUN-78       Play test public version.
14-JUN-78       Initial public version.
4-MAR-78        Initial version.

So I was wondering how do you install the fortran compiler in RTS??  Also
has anyone run the MDL versions on the main SIMH site under SIMH/ITS?
Guides on ITS seem to be vanishing and I wouldnt even know where to start...

Thanks for your time!

Jason