[Simh] 7094 emulator and CTSS

Andrew Warkentin andreww591 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 18:19:28 EST 2009

SPC wrote:

> Just curious... How goes the IBM 7094 emulation and CTSS run ? Some
> advances ?

(oops, this should have been sent to the list)

Richard Cornwell (http://sky-visions.com/) had managed to get some of
the standalone utilities working in his simulator (which is SIMH-based,
but shares no code other than the SCP with the one included in the main
SIMH distribution) a while ago. The disks and drum can be formatted, and
the filesystem can be initialized, but there is currently no way to
restore any files to the filesystem.

I am in the process of converting all of the listings into usable
sources, and writing a few simple standalone utilities based on CTSS's
filesystem code to make UFDs and write files into the filesystem. To
actually get CTSS running, my plan is something like this:

Build the supervisor, FAP, and MAD with asm7090 and lnk7090
Convert the FAP and MAD lnk7090 object files into CTSS executable core
images with a script
Write the FAP and MAD core images into the appropriate place in the
filesystem with a standalone 7094 program
Write all of the sources into the filesystem with a standalone 7094 program
Load the supervisor object file into the simulator and run it
Use FAP and MAD under CTSS to build the rest of the system