[Simh] SIMH Development

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 1 14:36:41 EST 2009

It is a runtime mechanism. Before booting the OS in SIMH you attach the
differencing disk. Then during operation the differencing disk implements a
copy-on-write mechanism, so that all changes to the underlying disk are
stored in a separate file. This is useful (to me at least) because I can
experiment with changes non-destructively (I could copy the whole disk image
of course, but prefer to manage a small differences file instead), I can
keep multiple different configurations of the same underlying image just by
using a different differences file, and when using online backup I only have
to backup the underlying image file once, then the (hopefully) smaller
difference files can be backed up more quickly.

I am sure that VMS has stuff like this, although I don't anything about
these things in VMS, but this does not apply to older versions of VMS and
other historic operating systems, and it works independently of the actual
OS. If you don't use it the overhead is negligible.

Does anyone think they would find this useful?

Regards

Rob