[Simh] Unix SYS III on SIMH

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Fri May 22 16:02:55 EDT 2009

>From what I've been able to piece together the VAX loads up this
"sash" from the console floppy then from there you can execute the
/stand programs including the kernel...

So I thought I'd get slick and just inject the stand in the
/stand/conflp directory (I cpio'd out all the archives) and tried
this:

% ./vax780

VAX780 simulator V3.8-1
sim> set rp0 rp06
sim> att rp0 mini
sim> load -o sash 0
sim> run 2

$$
$$ /stand/fsck /dev/rp0
/stand/fsck: not found
$$ /stand/ls
/stand/ls: not found
$$ ls
ls: not found
$$ set
/usr    rp04 0
/       rp04 0
$$

it does the same thing if you set the rp0 to rp04 mode....

So I was bumed about this, so I tried to take the PDP-11 SYSIII disk,
erase a bunch of stuff, and restore in the stand as vaxstand and
include a kernel... which seemed like a good idea..

----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<
tar -xvf /dev/rmt4
Tar: blocksize = 20
x vaxstand/cat, 16004 bytes, 32 tape blocks
x vaxstand/conflp, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
x vaxstand/dd, 16936 bytes, 34 tape blocks
x vaxstand/du, 16140 bytes, 32 tape blocks
x vaxstand/fsck, 29924 bytes, 59 tape blocks
x vaxstand/fsdb, 26880 bytes, 53 tape blocks
x vaxstand/iltd, 17856 bytes, 35 tape blocks
x vaxstand/ls, 21464 bytes, 42 tape blocks
x vaxstand/od, 16920 bytes, 34 tape blocks
x vaxstand/rp6fmt, 26144 bytes, 52 tape blocks
x vaxstand/rpboot, 512 bytes, 1 tape blocks
x vaxstand/sash, 11040 bytes, 22 tape blocks
x vaxstand/tapeboot, 1024 bytes, 2 tape blocks
x vaxstand/vrmhead, 4276 bytes, 9 tape blocks
x vaxunix, 66596 bytes, 131 tape blocks
----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<

And then to run it under the vax...

% /tmp/vax780

VAX780 simulator V3.8-1
sim> set rp0 rp04
sim> att rp0 system.hp
sim> load -o /tmp/sash 0
sim> run 2

$$ /vaxstand/ls
/vaxstand/ls: not found

$$ set
/usr    rp04 0
/       rp04 0

etc etc... I tried to add an RP04 disk into the pdp-11's sysIII and in
the man page it says that rp10 is disk1 etc, but my attempts at
mknod'ing it didn't seem to work....

I've tried

mknod rp10 b 0 10
mknod rp10 b 0 8

and... both return 0 on reads etc....

>From the vaxops (8) page:

          The $$ prompt indicates that the stand-alone shell (sash) is
          ready to accept commands.  If it is desired to run stand-
          alone fsck(1M) (or other stand-alone functions), this is the
          time to do it.  The commands have the form /stand/program
          where program can be any name from a limited list of UNIX
          commands found in the directory /stand.  To perform a file
          system consistency check, type:

               $$ /stand/fsck /dev/rp0

          To bring up UNIX, the operator must type unix<cr>.  The
          system will come up through init 1 (see init(8)).

Looking tru the man page, I setup the following ini file based on this:

     INSTALLATION BOOT PROCEDURES
        Tape Boot
          The floppy disk delivered with the VAX-11/780 does not have
          tape-boot capability.  The user must type in the following
          program to read the first record on tape drive 0.  Type <cr>
          at the end of each input line:

                    INIT SEQ DONE
               >>>D 20000 20008FD0
               >>>D + D0502001
               >>>D + 3204A001
               >>>D + C003C08F
               >>>D + A0D40424
               >>>D + 8FD00C
               >>>D + C0800000
               >>>D + 8F320800
               >>>D + 10A0FE00
               >>>D + C007D0
               >>>D + C039D004
               >>>D + 400
               >>>S 20000          (Start tape load)
                    HALT INST EXECUTED
                    HALTED AT 0002002F
               >>>S 2              (Execute boot program loaded from tape)

into this:

set rp0 rp06
att rp0 mini
set tu te16
att tu sysIII_vax780_tape1_set1.tap
D 20000 20008FD0
D 20004 D0502001
D 20008 3204A001
D 2000C C003C08F
D 20010 A0D40424
D 20014 008FD00C
D 20018 C0800000
D 2001C 8F320800
D 20020 10A0FE00
D 20024 00C007D0
D 20028 C039D004
D 2004C 00000400
g 20000
g 2

And this gets me this:

% ./vax780  m.ini

VAX780 simulator V3.8-1

HALT instruction, PC: 0002002F (HALT)

HALT instruction, PC: 00000003 (HALT)
sim>

I'll try to see if 32v can mount a second disk... that'll help things
a bunch....

Jason